I’ve never been much of a breakfast person, but tis the season for healthy living goals so here I am. I know that eating a small, healthy breakfast will kickstart my metabolism and set the tone for the day’s eating. Here are my favorites.
You’ll notice these breakfasts skew savory because I’ve always been more of a savory kinda gal. They’re also all suuuuper simple to prepare. I value my sleep so during the week, if I still want to get in a workout and to my desk on time, it needs to be relatively grab-and-go. I don’t want to be eating breakfast at 10 am, which pushes back lunch, which pushes back dinner so ease is the name of the game.
- Frozen Waffle: Topped with a thin layer of cream cheese and a thin layer of jam or apple butter. I’m not really into sweet breakfasts and the cream cheese gives it that slight tang needed to offset the jam.
- Granola with Milk: I learned the best trick on the side of a Trader Joe’s box of granola! If you microwave 3/4 c. granola with 1/4 c. milk for 1 minute, you basically have oatmeal that’s way quicker to make and [in my opinion] has a much better consistency. I like to top it with berries for even more texture.
- English Muffin: Toasted and topped with sunbutter and honey (maybe some cinnamon too, if I’m feelin’ crazy)
- Snacks: Since true breakfast food doesn’t totally rock my world, I’m often happy grabbing something that’s traditionally an afternoon snack, like a granola bar or a package of Trader Joe’s pb&j snack duo.
- Avocado Toast: This is an oldie but a goodie. I’ll toast any type of bread or english muffin and top with everything bagel seasoning.
- Hard Boiled Eggs: I don’t like to actually cook anything for breakfast (that’s for the weekends) because I don’t want to have to clean anything. That means I’m not scrambling any eggs. What I will do is hard boil a few eggs the day before (maybe while I’m having lunch or cooking dinner) and stick them in the fridge. The next morning, I’ll slice two of the eggs in half and top with seasonings like dried dill + salt + crushed red pepper flakes.