When someone tells you they’re coming over at the very last minute, I’m here for you with an app that takes very little time to prepare and looks gorgeous. Hummus is always a good “to the rescue” item, but we’ve all been to peoples homes and see that sad tub displayed with some pita chips, all still in the original packaging. This last minute app takes little extra effort (barely), but will look beautiful.
- Hummus (store-bought in whatever your favorite flavor happens to be)
- Feta (optional)
- Pine Nuts (I buy mine already toasted but if you need to toast them it only takes 2 minutes)
- Grape Tomatoes (quartered OR if you have 20 minutes before your guests arrive, halve them and roast them in the oven)
- Olive Oil
- Pita (either chips or sliced up flatbread – bonus points if you make your own pita chips by sticking them in the oven with the tomatoes)
- Put the hummus in a real bowl. It’s crazy how this teeny tiny action makes the whole thing look nicer. If you can’t spare the 17 seconds it takes to do that, we can’t be friends.
- Drizzle the hummus with olive oil. Because it makes it look pretty.
- Top the hummus with tomatoes, pine nuts, and feta.
- Serve with pita chips/flatbread.
This time, I used a roasted garlic hummus. Garlic is a flavor I would use to season these particular toppings, but now I don’t have to. I roasted the tomatoes but left the flatbread untoasted. I perhaps should have toasted them, but it was a really hot evening and I couldn’t fathom eating anything warm. I also omitted the feta because I just wasn’t feelin saltiness that day. That’s the good thing about this app – switch up the toppings based on your mood and what you have on hand. As long as you plate it properly and add that drizzle of olive oil, this will look far more impressive than it actually is. (Note: I would have used a nicer chip and dip serving combo, but we’ve started putting a lot of our stuff in boxes and storage in preparation for our upcoming move. I don’t think this makeshift serving set looks all that bad though – definitely better than using a bag of chips and the plastic tub the hummus comes in!)
This dip looks impressive even if you only have 1 or 2 of the toppings. If you don’t already have these ingredients in your fridge, they can be found at even the grossest of grocery stores so you’ll have plenty of time to run to the store, put this dish together, uncork a bottle of wine, and swipe on a fresh coat of lipstick before your friends arrive.