All the happenings in my birthday month
Lovely little waterfront park outside my office
- I can’t get enough of Eataly and also love Le District (which I refer to as French Eataly). Now it seems we’re getting a Spanish iteration of the same concept by none other than José Andres. I will obviously be checking it out as soon as it opens.
- Emmy Squared is set to open a Manhattan location today, which also happens to be MY BIRTHDAY. I’ve been dying to go to this restaurant forever and try the ultra famous burger but never seemed to make it to BK. Now I don’t have to! I can think of no better bday prezzie to myself.
- This is a perfect guide for assembling a $20 happy hour. Also, as I brainstorm ideas, I’m pretty sure I could throw a very happy hour for 4-6 people with 3 bottles of wine and 3 apps for $30. (Note: this is banking on picking up cheap wine from Trader Joes.)
- Carbonara for breakfast? Sold.
Cute lil scooter in TriBeCa, spotted on my walk from the office allllll the way home
Food For Thought
- I’m so happy this guy is finding a new way to encourage young black boys to read with Barbershop Books.
- Meet Noreen Tomassi, a bibliotherapist, who prescribes her patients reading lists, rather than pills.
- Last month, the New York Times published their first ever kids-only section within the Sunday paper. I loved learning how this section came to be and think their approach is smart.
Another shot from my long home from work. I love when building keep their old signage.
Bits & Bites
- I still remember the big Charlie Sheen HIV announcement in November 2015. At the time it just seemed like the ultimate celeb gossip, but I’m happy to see it’s actually had an impact and resulted in a big increase in HIV testing and prevention.
- NYC’s mayor recently announced he would like to extend the Pre-K program to 3-year-olds and offer it for free across the city. As someone who could potentially one day be raising children in the city, this is HUGE. It’s also good to hear the positive results from the Pre-K program.
At a super fun wedding with a spectacular flower wall