In three days we’ll officially have one year of marriage in the books! We may have packed more into our first year as husband and wife than in all 4 previous, pre-wedding years combined. With trips to Cuba, Italy, and Chicago, selling my old apartment, moving into a tiny short-term rental, buying a new place together, renovating the new place, and starting a new job, this first year really flew by. As a celebration of one fabulous year, I wanted to give y’all a lil sneak peek into our relationship so we’ve both [separately] answered a few questions:
- What was your favorite moment from the wedding? Albert and I both wrote notes to each other and when I realized we both ended our notes in the exact same way, I was immediately calmed. There were also two moments of pure party (one where I was getting down to Proud Mary and another when Albert and I were both dancing on stage) that were so much FUN – and that was all I wanted out of our wedding, for it to be just an extremely fun party.
- What has surprised you most about marriage? I was surprised by how different I felt once we were married. Nothing actually changed in our daily lives, but I felt different. It was like the moment we were pronounced married, there was an air of legitimacy.
- What’s the one thing Albert does around the house that annoys you? He leaves glasses lying around. Three pile up next to the bed before they’re moved to the kitchen, where he’ll put them next to the dishwasher but not actually inside the dishwasher.
- What was your favorite date night from the last year? I don’t feel like it’s fair to include anything from our minimoon or honeymoon so I’d have to say my favorite “normal” date night is a tie between a Broadway show followed by mixology bar and when we went to Eataly and stopped at several “stations” – we’ve done that one a bunch, and I love it every time.
- What is your favorite tradition that you’ve established as a couple? You’ve heard a lot of people offer the advice to never go to bed angry. It’s something Albert definitely tries to adhere to…but I like how we’ve evolved that advice into a tradition of our own. I always retire to the bedroom first, while Albert likes to fall asleep on the couch watching tv. When I’m ready to go to sleep, after I’m done reading or looking through my Instagram feed, I call Albert in to give me my goodnight kisses. Since I’m always up first, I then wake him up the next morning with kisses. Even if we’re in separate cities, we’ll text these “kisses” to each other. It’s less saccharine than you’d think and gives us the opportunity to put upset feelings aside and remember what’s important. The other tradition I love is how Albert always brings me a coffee on his way back from his Saturday morning workout class. It’s such a small thing, but I love it.
- What was your favorite moment from the wedding? There’s so many to count! If I had to pick my Top Three though, I would say: Ending our first dance with a dip/kiss, when you + i were singing onstage with the band, and the part when we were all (Family + Wedding Party) waiting in the back of the synagogue to take our places.
- What has surprised you most about marriage? I feel like not much has changed, but I just feel more older + wiser now.
- What’s the one thing Tess does around the house that annoys you? She still throws her contacts in the toilet but doesn’t flush them!
- What was your favorite date night from the last year? The night on our honeymoon when we found the festival at night in Rome.
- What is your favorite tradition that you’ve established as a couple? Taco Tuesday, of course!