My goals for the new year
Looking back my last New Year’s post, I am pleased to say I did pretty well. Granted, I didn’t set any insane goals, but I made major headway. Finn is on a solid schedule (that leaves enough wiggle room that I don’t stress about it), I took about 10 bags of clothes to Goodwill, and I almost always make sure a book (not a screen) is the last thing I see before bed. I’m still very much a work in progress though. Also, last year’s resolutions are here: 2022 (where you can also check out previous goals)
- Connect with other parents from Finn’s school and set up play dates.
- Take advantage of the teenage girls in our building who have offered to babysit so we can go on nights. (That could mean double dates or group hangs – just that my beau and I need to make it a priority to be social at the same time; one person’s fun evening shouldn’t always mean the partner has to sacrifice.) My goal is at least one per month.
- Play records more often. I love dancing around the living room to some vinyl.
- Go to bed earlier so I can wake up earlier and get in a workout. It’s hard to peel myself away from couch tv time, especially since it’s the main time when my beau and I get to connect during the week, but I’d like to start washing up around 9:30 so I can read a bit and be asleep by 10:30 at the latest.
- Get my next tattoo. I’ve long known what I want, but I needed to wait until I was no longer breastfeeding and then life just got busy. When I finally found time, I reached out to the artist who did my other tattoos and because he does a lot of celeb business he has become a bit too expensive. I’d like to find someone with the same style in my price range and finally get the piece I’ve been thinking about for so long.
- Get professional photos. I was on a good run, using services like Flytographer while on vacation…but then vacations stopped. Even if it’s just portrait mode on my iPhone plus a really talented stranger, I want to make a plan (outfits, location) and capture some moments that are holiday card worthy.
- Most of my friends have moved away – to all sorts of places – and a visit to see them after a long time apart does wonders for the soul, as I learned when I visited Steph in the fall. I’d like to plan another trip like that (friend tbd) at some point this year.
- I’ve never loved the idea of giving Finn a ton of screen time and really don’t want to use the tv like a babysitter, but I recognize the beauty in balance. I’d like to establish a standard of no tv during the week and only an hour on Saturdays and Sundays. The rest of the weekend should be filled with activities, which means I need to stock up on indoor activities for those days we can’t go outside.